Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Copy Cat Challenge 2



I Heart Fabric and Peneloping are once again hosting a Copy Cat Challenge and I have been known to knock off someone else's creation before...so I thought I would have a go at it again.


lovely & classic

My inspiration for this project was this ivory lace skirt that I found on pinterest. I adore this look!! It is so classic and elegant...I have been swooning over this for sooooooo long! I cannot find a source for this skirt after much searching so if anyone knows....let me know. Thanks.
I used my trusty McCalls 6706 pattern again. I have made this pattern one...two...three times already. I widened the waistband, as I always do, added pockets and lengthened it by a few inches. The lace is a soft polyester which had nice body to  it and I underlined it with a light cotton sateen. I didn't make it as long as thie inspiration skirt because let's face it...I'm not a six foot tall model!



I paired my skirt with an ivory sweater from Joe Fresh that I wore backwards...hehe, my Rouge snakeskin heels, pearls and this awesome gold Ann Taylor clutch that I recently thrifted. When I found this clutch I was both thrilled and a little disappointed. Thrilled because  still had the original tags on it and it was so shiny! I love myself some shiny! But also disappointed because the front of it was dented with the impression of the chain strap.(not shown) When items arrive at my local thrift store the come "bailed" like hay bails...only clothes and such..leaving the items quite crushed. Not good for a purse like this.
Let me share with you how I removed the dent...my blow dryer. I used my blow dryer on high heat to soften the vinyl while simultaneously pressing out the dent with a soft cloth and my fingers. It worked!!



I mentioned above that I had been a copy cat in my past life...well here's proof. This skirt is still a favorite of mine! I copied an Oscar de la Renta skirt and you can see the original posts here and here. It's a thrill to make something beautiful at a fraction of the price!



19 comments:

  1. It's so pretty!! I like your version even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great make! I love a lace skirt and yours looks perfect. I love that you are wearing your jumper backwards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy! I wore it backwards because it would have been MUCH too low if worn the "proper" way and not at all the look I was going for! Hehe.

      Delete
  3. I really like both of your skirt! You sew so well, girl! Your lace skirt version is way much better than the original one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely stunnign skirt!! You look divinely beautiful!
    I did a google search and your inspiration is a street-style picture of Ulyana Sergeenko, the Russian fashion designer. I don't know if it's one of her own designs that she is wearing, it's such a popular pin that the origins have been considerably diluted unfortunately. But such a gorgeous look. I'm tempted to copy it, and you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn!!! I didn't realize that the model who was wearing the inspiraion skirt was a designer herself...I was looking for the skirt specs to give credit. Perhaps it is her own design! Thanks for that. I'd love to see this look on you!

      Delete
  5. The skirt is beautiful, and just the right length. Full skirts are certainly making a comeback. I like the wider band as well - gives you a defined waist which you need witha full skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! Yes wider waistbands are always better for me.

      Delete
  6. Love that lace overlay idea! So pretty and in that color you can wear it with just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful feminine sophisticated look. Love it!

    Almeda

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so beautiful - this is such a classic, feminine look, and how satisfying to be able to replicate the look you were inspired by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your lace skirt!!! Where did you find that lace?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning, I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it.......I know it's taken me some time to post....but here it is.....absolute beautiful creations Margo....fashion designer you are!......bff Kara-lee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your style. Can you tell me about how you widened the waist band? I am currently stuck on making a skirt similar to this because I want a wide waistband. I have the waistband attached already but when I try it on, it sits straight up from my waist instead of hugging my form. Grrrr. What do I do?

    ReplyDelete