Sunday, November 10, 2013

Signature Style...What's Yours?


I couldn't put a name to mine but some outfits make me feel more like myself than others...this one just feels like me. From the skirt shape, to the graphic tee, to the leopard print clutch..... I like every piece, individually and together as a whole. So much so, that if I had actually finished this skirt on time I would have entered it in the Project Sewn's Signature Style sewalong. There were some great looks in that challenge!



 In case you are wondering what pattern this is...it's McCall's 6707. I won't go into a full review (because I have done that already here, here and here..oh and here) but I will share with you a few details of this make. 

First, the fabric...I found this beauty in the drapery department. I can't really explain why I am drawn to a fabric but I just get sucked in. Eeeeeverytime. Even when it doesn't necessarily don't fit into my wardrobe. I lined this one with a piece of shiny polyester something that I had in my stash. I obviously need to work on my fabric identification or at least take note when I buy it...  Oh no, not me...I'm practically dancing my way out the door with my precious new fabric dreaming only of what I will make. Never thinking about its content. NEVER. EVER. ever.

I decided to significantly increase the width of the waistband to accommodate the pattern of the fabric. I love the high waisted look! I made this one according to instructions by putting in a side zip and I added an inseam pocket on the right side.....you know how I love my pockets. If I can't have two, one will have to do.

Now let me share a little secret about this skirt pattern. It is great for any fabric that has a straight repeating pattern like this one and it also works great with horizontal stripes and border prints. I think I will try a border print this spring. 


Skirt:self-made T-shirt:Sunfrog shirts Shoes:Joe Fresh Clutch:Rickis

So there you have it....what I would call my signature style. Well, at least for the moment, cause you know it's always changing. That's the fun in dressing right? It's also the reason many of us sew. We can make whatever our imaginations dream up!

What kind of outfits make you feel most like yourself?




22 comments:

  1. That's is pretty outfit! The skirt suits you perfectly and I wish I could have your fabric. Well, the outfits that make me feel like myself is a shift dress with simple shoes and bag. Maybe, I should start to document it on my blog :)
    Have a lovely week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hana! You always look so cute and put together!

      Delete
  2. I like this outfit. It's relaxed and dressy at the same time and it looks really comfortable! I'm also terrible about identifying the content of my fabrics. I just go with what I love because that's the most important part to me. haha. Thanks for sharing your signature style. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, perfect timing. I'm just about to sew a skirt, and have been trying to decide on how I want to do my pleats. I made a skirt similar to this, with pleats in the front and I put gathers in the back. I had to look back through all your here and here and heres, and found the white skirt showed the back with two inverted pleats plus at the zipper. Is that how this gorgeous skirt is done?

    PS I like the high waistband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should remember to get a shot of the back! This skirt is actually the same pattern piece for the front and the back, with a side zip.What you see in the front is what you get in the back! I made this one as per the original pattern plus I added one inseam pocket. Other times I have moved the zip to the back so I can get two pockets! Hope this helps! Good luck!

      Delete
  4. I've been thinking about my style alot recently because what I feel most confident and most myself in isn't practical for my life as it is at the moment, but what is practical makes me feel bleugh. I love your style, and that outfit is awesome. Beautiful fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally! When my kiddies were younger, my style was MUCH more practical! I'm having a bit of fun with it now!

      Delete
  5. Very nice skirt! I recently bought a skirt pattern inspired by one of yours, (but I don't think it was this one) And I L.O.V.E your t-shirt!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just ordered myself a tee - Thanks Margo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this skirt! It's beautiful. I never know how to describe my style. It differs from work to home. If I could wear my Thurlows and Chuck's all day every day I'd be a happy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another lovely skirt! You DO look great in this kind of skirt, that´s for sure!
    About me: trousers and a jumper or a t-shirt (with no particular message ;D)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I knew what my signature style is. I am one of those people who likes a lot of different styles, but thinking about what I wear, I prefer simple clothes without too many superfluous details and I like a restricted colour palette too. I see your style as feminine, pretty and sometimes classic...your new skirt is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the T-shirt and skirt look on you. Right now I'd say my personal style in the cold months vacillates between faux rocker and faux cowgirl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got the M6706 and you've inspired me! I've never really sewed before and I'm really excited by how great your skirts look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tsss...what a lovely skirt. Would like to own it. In fact all skirts you made with this pattern are great.
    Greetje
    Ps found you through a colourful cancas

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can certainly identify with your fabric addiction (and beat it!) I have to say fabric is my drug of choice. It's not so bad if you actually MAKE something of your fabric, but it seems that I only buy and keep. And buy and keep. Well, you get the drift. I think I shall build a house of fabric someday, and still have lots left over.

    Cheers from England,

    Rosemary (who used to live in Vancouver) now at www.foreveronthecatwalkoflife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found you through a link by somebody, but don't remember who. Love, love this skirt. this is perfect for what I want to add to the elisalex bodice for a beautiful border print. Oh - I need more time to sew. You are stunning - can't believe you have 3 kids!!!

    g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gMarie! Oh I hope you find more time to sew...time and not enough of it is always a bit tricky isn't it?!

      Delete